[CentOS] Pointer to documentation on PCMCIA network cards

Robert Moskowitz

rgm at htt-consult.com
Wed Jan 11 15:42:27 UTC 2006

A Centos 4.2 workstation install on a notebook with Gnome UI.

I have used the system-config-network UI and know a LITTLE bit about ifconfig.

How do I 'properly' stop a network card before removing it?
Restart it after insertion?

Add drivers for:

An Orinoco Gold 11b card (the classic.  I believe it has the Hermes 2
chips, probably have at least one with the Hermes 1 chips around
someplace (I paid $2400 for my first AP and $900 for my first network
card years ago)).

A DLINK AG660 with the Atheros chipset.

A Hawkings card (not with me here in my hotel, can't get model
number) with the Broadcom chipset.

Of course I did the install on the notebook with a 'classic' 3COM
3CCFE574BT.  Got a few different 3COM cards sitting around.  But know
I have to get wireless working and be able to switch cards.