[CentOS] I have installed CentOS 4.2 on an AMD based machine using the ATI chipset (xpress 200) and I am hav

Chris Hammond

chris at tac.esi.net
Thu Jan 12 19:39:59 UTC 2006

I have installed CentOS 4.2 on an AMD based machine using the ATI chipset (xpress 200) and I am having issues with it.  It seems to be a very Linux unfriendly chipset.  I have looked at the ATI proprietary drivers but they seem to be for video.  My problem is the IDE channel on which you cannot enable DMA.  There is serious clock slew also as well as nic issues.  There is supposed to be an ATI driver in the kernel that works properly with the IDE controller.  Has anyone here had to deal with this chipset (SB400) and been able to compile kernel modules or the such to work around the issues?

Thanks
Chris