[CentOS] "find" statement: 64bit related??

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Jan 13 23:21:29 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 16:44, Johnny Hughes wrote:
> On Fri, 2006-01-13 at 15:24 -0500, Bowie Bailey wrote:
> > rado wrote:

> > > yes, it really is selecting the wrong files...getting all kinds of
> > > dates...
> >
> > Time for the mantra of computer techs around the world:
> >
> >     "Hmm...that's odd...it shouldn't do that..."
> >
> > Don't know what else to tell you.  Anyone else have any ideas?
> >

> How is the file system mounted in /etc/fstab
>
> (any weird options)
>
> What is the file system?

Are you sure the dates aren't in the future? Many programs
can set the mtime on files, including windows boxes writing
through samba shares and the date might be wrong.  It might
be better to use ctime which should always be set by
the local machine. You might get a few unnecessary hits where
only the owner/attributes changed instead of the content
but it might be more accurate.  If you are scanning changed
files for viruses, a virus would only have to do the
equivalent of 'touch -B 10000 file' to avoid being scanned
when you only observe the mtime.  Ctime will be set at the
time the change was made.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com