[CentOS] CentOS 4.2 x86_64

Fong Vang

sudoyang at gmail.com
Sat Jan 14 00:33:28 UTC 2006

I have a couple of 64-Bit Xeon's with CentOS 4.2 x86_64 installed on
them.  They don't all have the same motherboards.

I've having a difficult time getting CentOS 4.2 x86_64 to boot on some
of them in SMP mode (UP works fine).  After the installation of CD, it
boots up but kernel panics with the following error:

Badness in i8042_panic_blink at drivers/input/serio/i8042.c:992

This is the call trace:

apic_timer_interrupt+133
vgacon_cursor+0
oops_end+64
release_console_sem+369
error_exit+0
:scsi_mod:scsi_delete_timer+19
:3w_9xxx:twa_interrupt+1323
do_IRQ+197
mwait_idle+86
cpu_idle+26

The Uni processor works fine.

I tried the SMP kernel from Fedora Core 4 x86_64 which works fine as
well.  Any idea what's going on here?  I've already tried disabling as
many things from the BIOS as possible.

Thanks for any help.