[CentOS] HPLIP

Robert kerplop at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jan 16 04:18:33 UTC 2006

Phil Schaffner wrote:

>On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 10:35 -0500, Robert wrote:
>

>>Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

>>>Edit the spec file and remove the conflict.
>>>

>>Thanks for the reply.  I tried that, even went so far as to rebuild
>>system-config-printer, too.  At that point I felt just about like I did
>>trying to cram CUPS into RH7.2 before finally throwing in the towel and
>>installing RH7.3.
>>....that was pre-YUM.
>>
>>I guess I'll live without hp-toolbox for a bit longer.
>>

>Well - has been quite a bit longer, but if you're still waiting, can
>report that I just got a new HP OfficeJet 5610 today and it worked out-
>of-the-box with the 5500 driver, but when I went searching for scanner
>support and utilities and found the same conflicts you encountered.
>Fortunately, Fedora has advanced since October '05 and the following
>packages from the FC4 repo rebuild from *.src.rpm and work on CentOS4:
>
>system-config-printer-0.6.131.3-1
>libsane-hpaio-0.9.7-4.2
>hplip-0.9.7-4.2
>hpijs-0.9.7-4.2
>
>Sources:
>system-config-printer-0.6.131.3-1.src.rpm
>hplip-0.9.7-4.2.src.rpm
>
>The pre-requisites mentioned for Fedora on
>http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/install.php
>seem to work fine.  No need to even remove hpijs.  Scanner and tools
>seem fully functional.
>
>Phil

I was and wasn't still waiting.  My situation was such that my printer
(Deskjet 6122) works great except for ink monitoring, etc, therefore my
need was spectacularly non-critical.  In any event, thanks for the
information.  I'm currently printing the common and FC-specific pages at
http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/install.php and will undertake the
upgrade later.