[CentOS] ruby on rails

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 19 02:56:45 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 03:17 +0100, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am Do, den 19.01.2006 schrieb Craig White um 1:54:
>
> > CentOS 4.2 (ruby-gems-0.8.11)
> >
> > cd ~
> >
> > mkdir ruby-db
> > cd ruby-db
> > $ rails th-db
> >
> >     Rails requires Ruby version 1.8.2 (2004-12-25) or later.
> >     You're running 1.8.1 (2003-12-25); please upgrade to continue.
> >
> > ;-(
> >
> > Am I going to have to use Fedora on this server to use rails?
> >
> > Craig
>
> http://dev.centos.org/centos/4.2/testing/i386/RPMS/ has it in a new
> version. dev.centos.org is usable a a yum repo.
----
thanks Alexander and Jim

I knew I didn't find these things on centosplus but I didn't know about
dev.centos.org

I will definitely report back as I had mixed results today.

On my own FC-4 desktop, I got ruby on rails working without a problem.
After I realized that I wasn't going to get it working on the CentOS-4
server that I set up, I set it all up on the desktop (also FC-4) that I
am using at the client location. For some reason, all I could get was
blank html pages and 500 errors from webrick and I decided that it was
time to punt, go home and let it ride until tomorrow. I will now focus
on the CentOS-4 server which is where I wanted it to be anyway.

Also...as long as I am doing so well on ruby (I saw updates for
ruby/irb/rdoc/ruby-libs/ruby-devel/ (what the heck is ri ?) ...

How did you guys (or did anyone?) get mod_fastcgi installed? Did you
compile from source?

Thanks

Craig