[CentOS] ruby on rails

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 19 15:15:19 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 10:34 +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Craig White wrote:
> > As for ruby - perhaps upstream is so focused on eclipse that it ignores
> > rails and thus ruby as a language might be fine at 1.8.1 but as those
> > who have checked it out, know that rails is a rapidly moving target and
> > upstream isn't covering it.
>
> Now would also be a good time to point out that rubyonrails was only
> released as a stable 1 oh release just about a month back - and is still
> regarded as many people ( who use it ) to need work before it will work
> in an enterprise environment. And a lot of the other support components
> that people tend to want to use with rONr is still rated as Alpha or
> Beta grade code.
>
> Second point, the ruby pkgs in dev.centos.org are not maintained as a
> part of Enterprise Linux by Upstream, and are liable to break apart,
> destroy your machine, cause major business loss and blah blah blah ( the
> point being that those pkgs are NOT EL maintained code at upstream, so
> keep that in mind ).
----
definitely understood.

My understanding was that rONr (I like that), was give stable 1 like
July or August but I am not knowledgable on these things. I also
recognize the churn within the project.

I definitely realized Upstream problem which is why I asked on list -
and to my surprise found out about dev.centos.org packages.

I will consider only that I employ at my own risk - that is why I have a
separate server for this and wondered if my choice of CentOS 4 needed to
be evaluated in favor of FC-4 and I think I can stay put at CentOS 4

As a side note...I now know what a high volume mail list and
centos-list, fedora-list are low volume compared to
rails at rubyonrails.org list (where I am getting roughly 400 messages a
day). Clearly there is some magic happening there.

Thanks for the efforts Karanbir and Jim.

Craig