[CentOS] recompiling kernel for centos 4.2 x86_64

Maciej Żenczykowski maze at cela.pl
Thu Jan 19 18:52:13 UTC 2006

>> Does it have any i[3,4,5,6]86 rpms installed on it other than glibc.i686
>> and glibc-devel.i386 ... if so, you will need to either uninstall those
>> other RPMS ...OR... create a pure x86_64 chroot with only those i
>> [3,4,5,6]86 rpms installed.
>
> This is all I have installed:
>
> glibc-common-2.3.4-2.13
> glibc-kernheaders-2.4-9.1.98.EL
> glibc-devel-2.3.4-2.13
> glibc-2.3.4-2.13
> glibc-2.3.4-2.13
> glibc-headers-2.3.4-2.13

You should probably include the architecture...
add "%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}"
to ~/.rpmmacros

> I'm trying to add the xfs and reiserfs module (the centosplus kernel
> package has an unsupported which I don't want to use).  I realized
> that it was you who packaged this unsupported kernel.  How did you go
> about adding the module?  The procedure I used to add these in CentOS
> 4.1 i686 doesn't seem to work.

Why not use the unsupported kernel from centosplus? It obviously has what
you need and it's probably done better than you can do it yourself (and
decidedly less work there...).  Indeed you can even just download and
install just the reiserfs.ko from it... [that's even more unsupported
but it does work] :)

Cheers,
MaZe.