[CentOS] Hard Drive Errors

Peter Farrow peter at farrows.org
Fri Jan 20 22:36:58 UTC 2006

Thats a good point, its quite normal for a small number of bad sectors
to be present, and the drive will silently remap these.

Usually the bad sectors will be spread over the drive if they all fall
in one place or explosively increase over a few days thats when your in
trouble and thats when the smartd will report the drive is about to fail,

currently its not at the "about to fail" level.

Most hard disk manufacturers won't replace a drive unless the total
number of bad sectors is more than 1% of the drive, as of late though
with disks become huge compared to the
"good old days", this can now be gigs of bad sectors which I would
consider unsatisfactory....

You've only got 72 unreadable sectors this probably equates to about
36kbytes on the whole disk, which is probably at the very least a few
gigs....

Not something that would bother me... unless the numbers are on the move!

P.