[CentOS] yum updates

Phil Schaffner P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org
Sat Jan 21 15:34:15 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-19 at 14:42 -0600, Andrew Rice wrote:
> Hey all...just curious if anyone has ever run into any trouble using yum for updates..
> anything at all? just curious.
>
> I use it all the time...finds the dependencies and never had any real issues.
>
> just curious how you would downgrade a package though if that option is even at all available or not.

Don't believe yum does downgrades.  Check out smart.
http://www.smartpm.org/
http://rpmforge.net/

EL4 packages available from rpmforge.  I use yum for normal
updates/installs, but smart can help in cherry-picking packages from 3rd
party repos (or 2nd party according to rpmforge) or for trouble-shooting
dependency problems.  Can set priorities on repos to gain finer control
on what repos your updates come from.

Phil