[CentOS] Re: kdewebdev aka Quanta or

Lamar Owen lowen at pari.edu
Sat Jan 21 20:36:43 UTC 2006

On Saturday 21 January 2006 09:52, Rex Dieter wrote:
> Lamar Owen wrote:
> > The 3.5 update didn't really break much.  However, you will have
> > difficulty with things that use the kdesu utility, since, at least with
> > the latest updates, su is asking a second question (about the security
> > context) and that hangs kdesu hard

> Ack.  I'll have to look into that.

Many thanks... and many thanks for the redhat EL4 packages, too.

> > KDE 3.5 is slower, unfortunately, so you don't want to do this on an old
> > machine; the machine needs to be recent and needs to have more than 256MB
> > RAM for sure.  On one machine, going from 256MB to 512MB doubled its
> > apparent speed; the further increase to 1GB added another 33% or so on
> > some tasks.

> Provided ample RAM, I've personally found kde 3.5 to be subjectively
> faster (partly due to pkg optimization tweaking).

Kmail for one definitely feels slower, and the startup time IS longer.  This
on a Pentium M 1.7GHz laptop with 1GB RAM and a pretty fast 60GB hard drive.
I say this having used the previous KDE's on CentOS through the KDE-Redhat
repository, 3.3, 3.4 and now 3.5.  I literally started using 3.4's kmail one
morning, shutdown kmail, yum updated, restarted machine, brought up KDE, and
it felt slower.  Started Kontact/kmail, and it too felt slower, although not
by much.  Of course, there might have been speedups since those initial
public 3.5 packages that I haven't noticed.
--
Lamar Owen
Director of Information Technology