[CentOS] Bittorrent RPM/Python Issue

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 22 14:35:02 UTC 2006

> got it from bittorrent official site

> ok, think I'l update Python to ver 4, and use the RPM for 4

This isn't a hot idea. You're most likely going to wreck yum and
several other apps as johnny points out. Building from source on an
rpm based distro isn't a good idea. To top it off, when it breaks and
you ask for help, we're probably going to tell you to use the packages
centos shipped with.

> tnx, but, there is a reason for installing the original, core,
> bittorrent,

Dag's bittorrent IS the core bittorrent. It's simply rebuilt against
our version of python.

> as I'm following this site, http://lue.dyn.dhs.org/2005/20050708135201.html

It's nice to know that you're willing to wreck your system because
someone wrote something an article that's distro neutral. You need to
keep in mind that each distribution has their own slightly different
ways of doing things. It's best to ask questions about how to get
things running within the distro community. They'll tell you the right
ways to do things, and the centos community both on irc and on the
mailing list has tremendous amounts of good information.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT