[CentOS] Arguments to continue using it

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 03:44:45 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-22 at 20:08, Alain Reguera wrote:

> The arguments they gave to me were, what happen if redhat close the
> base packages, they don't have to release them, but just to the buyer,
> and we can't buy the distro, there are others distros like debian that
> is totally free, and without dependencies of proprietary industry.
>

> Would some of you explain me this issue, or point me somewhere to
> read?. I'll really appreciate that.

Redhat has has been fanatical about observing the GPL on upstream
packages, applying it to their own their own code and making
source available in RPM form even for packages with licenses
that don't require it.  While it is always good practice to
have a 'plan B' to cover the possibility of a preferred product
becoming unavailable, there is no reason to expect things
to change and not much point in switching to a different
version ahead of time.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com