[CentOS] RE: Broadcom NIC Binding under Centos 4.2

Robin Mordasiewicz robin at bullseye.tv
Mon Jan 23 15:14:34 UTC 2006

On Mon, 23 Jan 2006, ABOKHALAF, Nassri Abdellatif wrote:

> Hello Robin,
>
>> Add this line to the /etc/sysconfig/network
>>
>> VLAN=yes
>

> Done.
> Tested both interfaces & failover works nice. Thanks !
> How do I check that both interfaces are working binded together ?
>
> Regards,
> Nassri

you can experiment with the different mode=x settings and do
cat /proc/net/bond0 to see that status.

Then to do some benchmarks you can use netcat.

with Netcat you can generate a certain amount of data and send it across
the network to the other host. On the receiving host tell netcat to listen
When using netcat make sure that you are not reading a large file from
disk. In other words use the cpu to generate data, using /dev/zero, and on
the receiving end send the output to /dev/zero. This will bypass your disk
and use only your cpu and network. In all likelyhood your network will
outrun your disks, so you want to bypass disk access when benchmarking.

ie. on the sending machine do ...
dd in combination with /dev/zero will make the cpu generate data, and
/dev/null on the receiving side will send the file to a black hole.

time dd if=/dev/zero bs=1024 count=144140  | nc 10.10.0.27 1111

and on the receiving machine do

nc -l -p 1111 > /dev/null