[CentOS] Two ethernet adapters and more

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jan 23 22:14:10 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 16:57 -0500, Robert Moskowitz wrote:
> I am running Asterisk at home on one of my systems here.  It uses Centos
> 4.2.  It does NOT have a GUI interface.  Command line only at console
> or via SSH (yeah, I know that I was working on another server to get
> GUI tools working through SSH, but I am NOT going to muck with AAH build).
>
> yum update is potentially dangerous, when it replaces the
> kernel.  You can loose all of your Zaptel driver setups and have to
> rebuild them.  This is a given, the first time you install AAH and
> run yum update....
>
> Now at
> http://www.voip-info.org/wiki/view/Asterisk%40Home+Handbook+Wiki+Chapter+3
>
> I was instructed to use NETCONFIG to setup up my network
> information.  Well it did for eth0, but not for eth1.
>
> So question #1 is how to use netconfig to setup eth1 without messing with eth0.
----
don't know - never used it.

try...

cd /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts
cp ifcfg-eth0 ifcfg-eth1

and then edit ifcfg-eth1 to your liking
----

> #2)     NETCONFIG did not setup my hostname and domain.  I had to go
> in with VI to resolv.conf and sysconfig/network.  Is there a tool for this?
----
simply edit /etc/sysconfig/network

change the hostname to anything you want it to be - suggest that you
make sure this entry also exists in /etc/hosts

Also when using 2 eth devices per above, set the gateway address here...

GATEWAYDEV=eth0 # fix for your situation
GATEWAY=ip_addr_of_gateway
----

> #3)     How do I figure out which board is which.  Other than looking
> at the MAC address and using PCISNIFFER to then relate that to one of
> the boards (well, one 'builtin').  Also how do I determine which
> board is using which IRQ.
----
dmesg|less

or

lspci -vv
----

> #4)     Finally how can I change which IRQ a board is using.  As one
> of the boards is using the same IRQ as one of my Zaptel clone cards
> (Tigerjet chips according to PCISNIFFER).
>
> #4 leads into the 'more'.
>
> This system has TWO FXO clone cards.  One is working in AAH, the
> other AMP does not see.  Asterisk CLI flags one as "alarm"  RED.  and
> does not report the IRQ of either board.
>
> #5)     How do I figure Centos has configured these two cards, and
> what IRQs are used and maybe how to change the IRQs.
>
> #6)     Then how to get genzaptelconf to properly configure this card.
----
can't help with the last 4 - perhaps the asterisk lists might be of more
help

Craig