[CentOS] Self-signed certificates

Tue Jan 24 11:06:33 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-23 at 22:18 -0500, Thomas E Dukes wrote:

> [...]
Their (godaddy) wildcard cert is $199.00/yr (turbo) or $299.00/yr (high
assurance)

Their individual site same certs are $19.99/yr (turbo) or $89.99 (high
assurance).

Here is the difference:
https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/ssl/compare.asp?se=%2B&app%5Fhdr=99

For internal stuff, I would use only a signed certificate.

I created one for 10 years for my company for internal websites.

> > If you mean the browser should recognize the cert as a cert
> > and not care about the name it's issued for, that can't work
> > because the purpose of a cert is to guarantee you're talking
> > to whom you think you're talking to.  So the domain name has
> > to be in there.

That is why a wildcard cert is good.  Many companies are doing wildcard
certs now.  They are for *.yourdomain.com ... so mail.yourdomain.com and
www.yourdomain.com and test.yourdomain.com are all valid with that
certificate.