[CentOS] prompt to overwrite when re-saving file in MS-Excel to samba server

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Thu Jan 26 01:12:17 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 19:57 -0500, Matt Morgan wrote:
> I have a couple users, in a new install of a samba file server on
> CentOS 4.2, who are being prompted to overwrite the existing file when
> in MS-Excel and simply saving the active spreadsheet. Normally,
> File--Save (or just clicking on the disk icon) for an already saved
> file will re-save the file without prompting to overwrite.
>
> I have my doubts about whether this could be a server-side issue, and
> suspect it's probably Excel, except
>
> 1) it started when I switched them from a Windows file server to the
> Samba server;
> 2) it happened to both of them at the same time;
> 3) I've been working with Excel for a long time and never seen a
> setting for this.
>
> Anybody have any idea what this could be, or how to diagnose it?
> Googling gets me a few VBScript questions, nothing useful.
>
> FYI, the samba share is pretty basic, but I did increase the create
> mask and directory mask settings, since these files are shared between
> several users and they need to write each other's files. Apart from
> that, no deviations from the norm.
----
Excel is very peculiar in how it saves files.

see

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.samba.general/60586/match=excel

a lot of fixes were put into Samba-3.0.11 and I would guess that
upstream incorporated many of the patches since I've not had complaints
about that. Have you installed all updates?
# rpm -q samba
samba-3.0.10-1.4E.2

Craig