[CentOS] prompt to overwrite when re-saving file in MS-Excel to samba server

Matt Morgan minxmertzmomo at gmail.com
Thu Jan 26 02:51:14 UTC 2006

On 1/25/06, Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-01-25 at 19:57 -0500, Matt Morgan wrote:
> > I have a couple users, in a new install of a samba file server on
> > CentOS 4.2, who are being prompted to overwrite the existing file when
> > in MS-Excel and simply saving the active spreadsheet. Normally,
> > File--Save (or just clicking on the disk icon) for an already saved
> > file will re-save the file without prompting to overwrite.
> >
> > I have my doubts about whether this could be a server-side issue, and
> > suspect it's probably Excel, except
> >
> > 1) it started when I switched them from a Windows file server to the
> > Samba server;
> > 2) it happened to both of them at the same time;
> > 3) I've been working with Excel for a long time and never seen a
> > setting for this.
> >
> > Anybody have any idea what this could be, or how to diagnose it?
> > Googling gets me a few VBScript questions, nothing useful.
> >
> > FYI, the samba share is pretty basic, but I did increase the create
> > mask and directory mask settings, since these files are shared between
> > several users and they need to write each other's files. Apart from
> > that, no deviations from the norm.
> ----
> Excel is very peculiar in how it saves files.
>
> see
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.samba.general/60586/match=excel
>
> a lot of fixes were put into Samba-3.0.11 and I would guess that
> upstream incorporated many of the patches since I've not had complaints
> about that. Have you installed all updates?
> # rpm -q samba
> samba-3.0.10-1.4E.2

Yes, that's the version I'm running.

So I looked into this a lot more and realized there's a lot more to
file-locking, etc., than I realized. Thanks for pointing me in the
right direction. My other samba server (also CentOS 4.2, also samba
3.0.10-14E2) only deals with Excel 97 and OOo clients, and it looks
like 2000/2003 create problems that 97 doesn't.

Anyway, I checked around, and I'm getting totally conflicting opinions
on whether to turn oplocks and level2 oplocks on or off. Can I get
opinions from the list? This particular business does not do a lot of
MS-Access (which offers good reasons to have oplocks turned on).

Thanks,
Matt