[CentOS] SubVersion on CentOS 4.2

James B. Byrne

ByrneJB at Harte-Lyne.ca
Thu Jan 26 20:09:01 UTC 2006

I am new to linux based version control systems and am setting up a
new project in Rails which will use SubVersion.  I set up a
repository for this project in a directory called /var/spool/svn
and ran svnadmin create etc.  I did all this while su'ed to root,
however all programming will be done by non-privileged users.  To
provide for this I created a group called "svn", added the np
userids to that secondary group and chgrp'ed the svn repository to
have the guid set to "svn".  However, attempts to use svn by np
userids failed with references to ra_local and BDB access
violations.

What I discovered is that the default file modes established by
svnadmin create do not give w access to the guid, only to the uuid.
 I therefore issued a chmod -R g+w * in the /var/spool/svn
directory and svn thereafter worked as desired for privileged and
non-privileged userids alike.

My questions are three (four):

1.	Is this behaviour (limiting access to a central svn depository
to a single userid) intentional? (If so then why?)

2.	Have I created future problems by loosening svn access to such
an extent?

3.	Is there a better way to accomplish this?

Regards,
Jim

--
     *** e-mail is not a secure channel ***