[CentOS] Upgrading samba past the regular packages

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Fri Jan 27 03:40:28 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-26 at 22:25 -0500, Matt Hyclak wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 26, 2006 at 10:19:44PM -0500, Matt Morgan enlightened us:
> > Despite Craig's excellent help with my Excel/Samba, I continue to have
> > trouble with Samba 3.0.10 under CentOS 4.2. Quickbooks, now, too, is
> > just acting really weird.
> >
> > I'm tempted to upgrade beyond the regular packages, although I really
> > don't like to do that, because the samba list and a lot of info online
> > lead me to believe that 3.0.11+ fixes these issues.
> >
> > What's the best way to use something newer than the regualr packages?
> > Does someone out there have a CentOS repo with a newer samba? Should I
> > just use the Fedora packages?
> >

> I've never used packages from here, but you might check out
> http://enterprisesamba.com/

----
I've not used them either.

I should point out that it should be rather simple to rebuild from the
samba.org source rpms per their instructions...

http://us4.samba.org/samba/ftp/Binary_Packages/Fedora/
(I think that even though they are tagged 'Fedora' those are the proper
source rpms for RHEL-4 and rebuilds)

download the source...

rpmbuild --rebuild ...

rpm -Uvh /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/i386/samba*

Craig