[CentOS] Volume of patches for CentOS vs Fedora

Steve Bergman

steve at rueb.com
Fri Jan 27 08:18:24 UTC 2006

I'm trying to come to a decision between CentOS 4.2 and Fedora Core 4
for use on a server.  One of the things the server will be serving is X
desktops so there are some advantages to Fedora.

However, one thing I can't help but notice is that the patch volume for
FC4 from Oct 11 2005 thru the present compared to CentOS 4.2 for the
same period is about 5 times greater.  In fact, since June, there are
899 RPMs in the FC4 updates directory for FC4 which seems absolutely insane.

CentOS is a smaller distro, but not that much smaller.  Also, I
understand that CentOS's parent distro (from a prominent North American
Linux Distributor) is supposed to be better tested before release than
Fedora.  But still, there must be some other factor to explain the
disparity.  Like CentOS only releasing a patch for security problems and
not bug fixes or something like that.

Could someone enlighten me?

Thanks,
Steve Bergman