[CentOS] Players (O.T.)

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 29 03:45:28 UTC 2006

On 1/28/06, Sam Drinkard <sam at wa4phy.net> wrote:
>            Sorry for the off topic posting, but I'm not a real music person and know little about what software will do what.  Without turning this into a big discussion for pro or con, could someone drop a line or 3 just stating the name(s) of some type music players?  I'd probably want something that would play CD's and perhaps mp3's.  I don't guess there is a "catch-all" like the windows media player that does it all is there?
>
>  Thanks..

Sure there is.

xmms will play mp3s, wma, ogg, flac, cds and more. It's very
simplistic, and a bit like winamp3 on the windows side. (requires
xmms-mp3s from dag or other external repository)

Rythmbox is okay, but is really basic.

AmaroK is a KDE media player that is fairly heavy (being a KDE app and
all) but it's quite nice, plays video, mp3, and pretty much every
other media format. It needs some plugins to operate as well, but has
all the trimmings.

I prefer xmms, but I like simplicity, and AmaroK is quite nice for what it is.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT