[CentOS] Network Card Priority

James Gagnon

jamesg at nucleus.com
Sun Jan 29 15:16:41 UTC 2006

Hi,
Is it common for CentOS to give priority to one particular network card over a second card when activating on boot up?

I have two NIC's in my machine... one is tied into my windows box with an internal IP using xover cable.  The other is tied into my hub, which then leads out to the internet with a WAN IP.  When I run a constant ping on both IP's from my windows box and watch the boot up phase of CentOS it gets to activating eth0 and I start getting a couple ping replies from the WAN IP as it completes activating.  Then it activates eth1 the NIC I have my internal IP on and the ping replies for the WAN IP stop and I then start getting ping replies from the internal IP.

Should that be happening by default?  If so, is there a way to make it so that both NIC's respond to pings off bootup and are active?  In network settings both are marked active and both are marked to activate on bootup... just seems one is forcing the other offline and im not sure if that can be corrected... Any info would be great... Thanks =)

James G.