[CentOS] vsftp vs shell logins

Alexander Dalloz ad+lists at uni-x.org
Sun Jan 29 21:44:39 UTC 2006

Am So, den 29.01.2006 schrieb techlist um 22:31:

> I need to be able to allow specific system accounts to ftp to a box.  As far
> as I can tell I have to give them a shell in /etc/passwd (i.e. /bin/bash) in
> order for their ftp login to work.  I do *not* however want them to be able
> to log into a shell or ssh session.  I cannot restrict by IP.  What's the
> best way to accomplish this?

> Scott

Pretty simple: don't give the FTP users a login shell. CentOS provides 2
styles of them: /bin/false and /sbin/nologin. Depending on the FTP
daemon you use you may need to add the not login shell as a valid shell
into /etc/shells; or configure the FTPd differently.

Alexander

Serendipity 22:42:44 up 56 days, 3:19, load average: 0.86, 0.79, 0.57