[CentOS] Upgrading samba past the regular packages

Craig White craigwhite at azapple.com
Mon Jan 30 15:09:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 09:59 -0500, Matt Morgan wrote:
> On 1/27/06, Greg Swallow - SkyNet <gregswallow at skynetonline.ca> wrote:
> > Matt Morgan wrote:
> > > Despite Craig's excellent help with my Excel/Samba, I continue to have
> > > trouble with Samba 3.0.10 under CentOS 4.2. Quickbooks, now, too, is
> > > just acting really weird.
> >
> > Did you check bugzilla.redhat.com for a bug report similar to the problem
> > you're having?  If you don't find one you should report a bug there first,
> > before looking for other solutions.
>
> Yes, there's a bug there for the Excel issue. I haven't done a ton of
> testing to see if this other QuickBooks problem is the same thing, or
> if there's another separate bugzilla bug, but it does look like a
> well-known issue in 3.0.10, not specific to RH/CentOS. They appear to
> be bugs fixed in more recent Samba releases.
----
There doesn't seem to be much complaining about this on upstream
bugzilla.

I definitely use samba at a number of clients and haven't run into this
and one of my clients - they all use Office XP/2003 - I don't think they
are heavy Excel users but I have used Excel 2003 in that office myself
and not run into the issue. That particular client is using CentOS-4.2
on the samba server.

Many of my clients also run Quickbooks - even in multi-user mode off a
samba share and other than complaints about speed, I haven't had any
issues there either.

FWIW

Craig