[CentOS] OT - Linux NAS for Windows Environment

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 17:00:29 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 10:12, Chris Mauritz wrote:

> >> I'm looking to find a Linux NAS solution for a Windows network.  Looking
> >> into FreeNAS and OpenFiler.  Anyone using these or any other solution?
> >> Any comments/suggestions?
> >>

> > Any linux box running samba will work.  If you want something that
> > is appliance-like but can supply other services (email, web, ftp,
> > etc.) if you want them, look at SME server at www.contribs.org.
> > Version 7 that is in pre-release now is based on Centos but the
> > administration is all through simple web forms.
> >

> Interesting project.  I just searched through the web pages and didn't
> see a list of the various tools/packages used.  What does it use for a
> mail server?

It's an odd mix of qmail with a replacement front-end in perl
(qpsmtpd) that can do spam/virus scans, maildir format delivery
and dovecot for imap/pop. Performance is pretty good. It also
has hoarde/imp for webmail and one of the management
simplifications is that if you add a 'group', you get a unix
permissions group that can be used for file sharing and an
email group address at the same time.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com