[CentOS] OT - Linux NAS for Windows Environment

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 31 17:52:43 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-01-31 at 11:35, Karanbir Singh wrote:

> >>snapshotting upfront; a good snapshot rotation can save you so much pain
> >>it's not funny; many commercial NAS (NetApp, SnapServer, EMC, etc) have
> >>this integrated. When looking at a DIY linux NAS, you may have to roll
> >>it up.
> >

> > I think there are still problems with LVM2 snapshots.
>
> we're hoping to see a major improvement in that situation ( lvm2 /
> kernel 2.6 / snapshots ) with the CentOS 4.3 release. not too far now :)

Do you know if it is possible to image-copy a snapshot off
to another system?  A backuppc archive contains so many hardlinks
that normal copy techniques are not practical.  I currently
raid-mirror to external firewire drives that are rotated offsite
periodically, but it would probably work better to freeze an
LVM snapshot and copy that instead.

--
  Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com