[CentOS] Re: Upgrade From RHEL3

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Tue Jan 31 20:24:08 UTC 2006

Scott Taylor spake the following on 1/31/2006 12:18 PM:
> Hello all,
>
> Has anyone experienced upgrading from RHEL3 to Centos 4.2?  Is it
> advisable?  I'm running mostly native RH stuff, Apache Web server,
> Sendmail, Squid and IPTables gateway.
>
> Will an upgrade work or should I start from scratch?
>
> --
> Scott
It will "work", but it isn't the best ting to do for a stable system. It will
leave behind a lot of old crap that will take up space, and be a pain to
figure out what to remove. It is ok for a test system that you are going to
wipe later, and you just want a quick and dirty test of the new OS and your
apps. But it is better to start over, and have good backups. (Or a new
machine, and leave the old one running until the migration is done).
That is my plan as I replace 2 aging RedHat 9 servers I have running.
The new hardware should be here in a week or two.

--

MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and