[CentOS] Version download problem?

Tue Jan 3 10:17:02 UTC 2006
Peter Kjellström <cap at nsc.liu.se>

On Friday 30 December 2005 04:34, Young, Darren wrote:
> > Yep. They're obsolete, and we're trying to save
> > space/bandwidth on the mirrors, since the space is donated.
> > 3.6 is 3.1 with all the
> > updates+errata. If you REALLY need 3.1 for some hellish reason, you'll
> > need to get it from the vault. ( vault.centos.org )
>
> Hellish, maybe -> Tivoli Storage Manager.
>
> Actually, what I need is kernel 2.4.21-4.0.1 according to IBM.

I don't know what kind of tivoli setup you're looking at but surely IBM has
software fully compatible with EL3u6 (or atleast u4 or u5). Go whack them
with something heavy. We run some tivoli stuff on a fully updated Centos-4
(2.6.9-something).

just my .02 euros,
 Peter

and fwiw, our mirror (mirror.nsc.liu.se) also has vault.

> I thought
> that since that version was in an older version of the "other enterprise
> linux" it would be in an older CentOS as well. Am I correct in this
> assumption or fighting a losing battle? Not sure how *hard* that
> requirement is, might just be kernel 2.4.whatever, but I have to find
> out. Was that version in 3.0 or 3.1 of CentOS?
>
> Also have a requirement for kernel 2.4 from the Tivoli Integrated
> Solution Console as well. Not sure on this requirement as well, I do
> know that with CentOS 4 the installer blew up with "unsupported kernel
> version xxx". Tried tricking the installer by replacing the uname binary
> with a script that returned what the other linux gives from `uname -a`
> but it didn't work.

  Peter Kjellström               |
  National Supercomputer Centre  |
  Sweden                         | http://www.nsc.liu.se