[CentOS] HPLIP

Mon Jan 16 03:31:15 UTC 2006
Phil Schaffner <P.R.Schaffner at IEEE.org>

On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 10:35 -0500, Robert wrote:
> Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:
>
> >On Sun, 2005-10-09 at 08:07 -0500, Robert wrote:
> >

> >>The conflict with hpijs is a no-brainer -- remove it because hplip is a
> >>replacement.  But what about system-config-printer?  I'm not too keen on
> >>dropping back to manually setting up printers.  Any advice is welcome.
> >>

> >Edit the spec file and remove the conflict.
> >

> Thanks for the reply.  I tried that, even went so far as to rebuild
> system-config-printer, too.  At that point I felt just about like I did
> trying to cram CUPS into RH7.2 before finally throwing in the towel and
> installing RH7.3.
> ....that was pre-YUM.
>
> I guess I'll live without hp-toolbox for a bit longer.

Well - has been quite a bit longer, but if you're still waiting, can
report that I just got a new HP OfficeJet 5610 today and it worked out-
of-the-box with the 5500 driver, but when I went searching for scanner
support and utilities and found the same conflicts you encountered.
Fortunately, Fedora has advanced since October '05 and the following
packages from the FC4 repo rebuild from *.src.rpm and work on CentOS4:

system-config-printer-0.6.131.3-1
libsane-hpaio-0.9.7-4.2
hplip-0.9.7-4.2
hpijs-0.9.7-4.2

Sources:
system-config-printer-0.6.131.3-1.src.rpm
hplip-0.9.7-4.2.src.rpm

The pre-requisites mentioned for Fedora on
http://hpinkjet.sourceforge.net/install.php
seem to work fine.  No need to even remove hpijs.  Scanner and tools
seem fully functional.

Phil