[CentOS] install won't boot

Wed Jan 18 10:21:38 UTC 2006
Jeff Lasman <blists at nobaloney.net>

Circumstances:

The system is a hardware duplicate of a system that installed and works
for many months.  Running CentOS 4.x.

The system was previously in service with CentOS 3.x and I'm trying to
install CentOS 4.1 on it from downloaded CDs which have worked
previously (these are the same CDs used to install the system that's
working).

Software RAID.

Minimal packages

System appears to install properly, then on first reboot halts with
error:

(note that this is hand copied, not cut-and-pasted, so there may be
errors in spelling <frown):

Creating block devices
Creating root device
Mounting root filesystem
kjournald starting. Commit interval 5 seconds
Freeing unused kernel memory: 228k freed
Warning: unable to open an initial console.

and system halts with nothing else on screen.

I even tried downloading the entire /boot partition contents from the
working machine and installing the contents on the /boot partition on
the local machine.

Same problem.

I was supposed to get this server into the data center; it's now 02:19.
I'm going home to get a few hours sleep.

Any suggestions?

Help appreciated.

Thanks.

Jeff
--
Jeff Lasman, Nobaloney Internet Services
1254 So Waterman Ave., Suite 50, San Bernardino, CA  92408