[CentOS] prompt to overwrite when re-saving file in MS-Excel to samba server

Thu Jan 26 00:57:13 UTC 2006
Matt Morgan <minxmertzmomo at gmail.com>

I have a couple users, in a new install of a samba file server on
CentOS 4.2, who are being prompted to overwrite the existing file when
in MS-Excel and simply saving the active spreadsheet. Normally,
File--Save (or just clicking on the disk icon) for an already saved
file will re-save the file without prompting to overwrite.

I have my doubts about whether this could be a server-side issue, and
suspect it's probably Excel, except

1) it started when I switched them from a Windows file server to the
Samba server;
2) it happened to both of them at the same time;
3) I've been working with Excel for a long time and never seen a
setting for this.

Anybody have any idea what this could be, or how to diagnose it?
Googling gets me a few VBScript questions, nothing useful.

FYI, the samba share is pretty basic, but I did increase the create
mask and directory mask settings, since these files are shared between
several users and they need to write each other's files. Apart from
that, no deviations from the norm.

Thanks,
Matt