[CentOS] DNS wizard

Mon Jan 2 17:51:24 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Mon, 2006-01-02 at 10:22, Maciej Żenczykowski wrote:

> we could decide that bind is screwed anyway and DNS servers and cache's
> are two fundamentally different animals and shouldn't be mixed anyway (ie.
> no DNS server should ever be a cache and vice versa)

Except that decision doen't make a lot of sense.

> The reason why CNAME's are used for reverse delegation is because
> administrators are lazy and BIND makes the proper non-CNAME using solution
> tiresome to implement.  It's a breeze with tinydns/djbdns (once you get to
> know the program, but that's normal).

If there is some advantage to delegating NS's for individual
addresses instead of using CNAME's I think you forgot to
mention it.  CNAME's inherit the robustness of the referenced
domain.  If you do it by delegation, you'll have to provide
multiple NS records for every address, and the admin of the
delegating zone must track any changes.  The point of using
CNAMEs is for the delegating zone to not need to track anything
about the real names - if they did they could just supply the
correct PTR address in the first place.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com