[CentOS] Reading the Output of DF

Mon Jan 2 18:30:53 UTC 2006
Maciej Żenczykowski <maze at cela.pl>

> none                  125M     0  125M   0% /dev/shm
>
> The filesystem Centos is using is new to me since I have RH 9 on my other
> server.  I assume the FS combines my two drives into the virtual drive.
>
> What I do not understand is the "none" filesystem and how that relates to the
> "VolGroup00-LogVol00", if at all.

It doesn't at all. It's a tmpfs filesystem (thus none: there is no block
device associated with it) being used for shm (shared memory), basically
it's a RAM-only, swappable to disk (if necessary), cleared on
reboot/shutdown/crash filesystem with a standard size of 50% of all RAM
(so you probably have 256MB ram, possibly with some RAM being used by the
video card or being wasted otherwise).

Cheers,
MaZe.