[CentOS] How to upgrade hard drive in a single drive (with LVM2) computer

Tue Jan 3 17:08:07 UTC 2006
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

"Barry L. Kline" <blkline at attglobal.net> wrote:
> 6) Edited grub.conf (on the new drive) to point to VG1
> instead of VG0 for sysroot.
> Edited /mnt/etc/fstab to point to the new locations (I
> changed the names of the logical volumes slightly.)
> 6) Disconnected the old drive, then booted.

When did you re-install GRUB (grub-insall)?
And when you did, did you have it use the _new_ grub.conf?

> The system booted, but got only as far as 'Red Hat nash'
> ...  then complained that it couldn't find vg0. (the volume
> group on the other disk).  I can't get into single-user
mode
> when booting this single drive.
> I'm trying to do this whole thing non-destructively so that
> the original drive is a backup, until we confirm that the
new
> drive is behaving well.

Consider booting the CentOS CD #1 in "rescue" mode.
Let it find your root and then chroot and run grub-install.

> Are these steps correct (and they should be without LVM) or
> is there something much easier and obvious that I'm
missing?

> I could, I suppose, add the new parition into the original
> volume group, and do the 'pvmove' dance to get things over
(as
> explained briefly in the LVM-HOWTO on Red Hat's site) but
it
> wouldn't leave a bootable system on the original drive.

It's best to treat the two sets of discs/volumes as
different, and never put them in the same system.  Again, use
CD #1 to boot into "rescue" mode, chroot and run grub-install
with only the new discs/volumes connected.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com
*** Speed doesn't kill, difference in speed does ***