[CentOS] Yumex, yum-utils

Wed Jan 4 01:15:42 UTC 2006

On Wed, 2006-01-04 at 00:34 +0000, Sean O Sullivan wrote:
> Jim Smith wrote:
> > CentOS should have its own yumex/yum-utils considering the likes of
> > Scientific Linux and Lineox have had them for a long time.
>
> http://dev.centos.org
> yum-utils/yumex is up there.

Correct, though the yumex is not installable currently as there are
issues.

AND ... if yumex worked PROPERLY with yum and yum-utils, it would be in
a main repo in CentOS (extras or the like).

DOUBLE AND .... the developer of yum is also a CentOS developer ... WE
know what really works with yum ... and neither of those items is ready
for prime time.  When there is a GUI based tool for yum that really
works, we will include it, I promise :)

Just because it is in those distros does not mean it works correctly.

CentOS, Scientific Linux, and Lineox are all free (although Lineox is
only free after a month for updates) (and don't forget Tao, WBEL, ... if
people like one of those instead, by all means use it.

Personally, I think Scientific Linux is a very good distro, and Tao is
also good ... I would personally pass on all the others.  That is just
my opinion (not that any of them are bad, I just think CentOS is
better).

Now ... if you want to know what some of the big guys think which EL
rebuild is best ...

take a look what IBM says:
http://avi.alkalay.net/linux/docs/distributions/img13.html

Or Sun:
http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=111

And notice that CentOS has more than 50 external public mirrors and is
installed on nearly 100,000 web servers (Same as Mandriva, almost the
same as Gentoo):
http://www.centos.org/modules/news/article.php?storyid=109

Concerning webservers, I would also like to point out that many ISPs
hide the fact that they use CentOS and recompile their httpd AND change
their /etc/redhat-release to make them show up as RedHat ... and many of
the new cobalt servers are also built on CentOS but show up as cobalt on
the survey ... and CentOS machines running CPanel and Plesk don't always
show up as CentOS.

OK, I'm done :)