[CentOS] High Availability using 2 sites

Thu Jan 5 17:42:00 UTC 2006
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> Web browsers (IE at least) tend to be very good about
> handling failures if you give out multiple IP addresses for
> a name and one or more locations does not respond.

Er, um, er, it's still a little arbitrary and not exactly
correct.  Furthermore, default NT5.x (2000+) operation is to
"hold down" DNS names for a default of 2 mintues, even ones
that are round-robin, if just 1 doesn't resolve.  It's a
really messy default in the Windows client that causes a lot
of issues.

I think you might be thinking of ADS name resolution, which
is a little different than DNS (even though Microsoft says
it's DNS ;-).  I could be wrong though, but that's what my
experience suggests.

> There are expensive commercial DNS servers like F5's
> 3dns that will test for service availability and modify
> the response if a location is down.   Some free variations
> may also be available.

But that still doesn't solve the propogation issue.  The most
you could hope for is to find a partner who can seed the
major caching servers of the major providers.  But there's
still the downstream issue.

> However, most applications cache the DNS response
internally
> regardless of the TTL and won't automatically pick up a
change
> unless you exit the app and restart it.

Exactomundo, let alone if the OS/resolver or whatever "cached
value" at the "non-authority" honors the TTL in the first
place.

Again, the repeat theme here is that it must be solved at the
layer-3/IP level.  You can't hope to solve it at the
application levels, like with DNS.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com
*** Speed doesn't kill, difference in speed does ***