[CentOS] High Availability using 2 sites

Thu Jan 5 20:11:50 UTC 2006
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

I've been exploring high-uptime availability solutions for our own,
database-driven ASP. We have two sites, much as original poster describes,
and 5-minute DNS, but many larger providers (EG: SBC, AOL) have DNS servers
that seem to ignore TTL. Complicating the DNS issues are ones around keeping
a database replicated (using Postgres 8.1) and a filesystem synchronized. (we
actually have a "dark" 3rd, non-public site used for business continuity in a
totally worst-case scenario)

So, I've been at a quandary on this very same issue. We had a problem about 2
years ago where we had to switch to the failover in an emergency. From our
end, we were "back up" in < 3 hours, (far less than the 6 hours allowed by
contract) but it took over 48 hours for availability to approach 100%, due to
the aforementioned DNS issues. (I hate you, SBC!)

So, do you know of a "getting started" for how to get an autonomous system
number and run BGP? My skills as a network admin are a distant second to my
primary skills...

-Ben

On Wednesday 04 January 2006 22:21, Bryan J. Smith wrote:
> The common one is to have your own autonomous system number
> and run BGP.  That way you control your IP assignments,
> failover, etc... in ways that are efficient and quickly
> propogated.

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978