[CentOS] Extending Network - OT

Fri Jan 6 04:41:13 UTC 2006
Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>

On Thu, 2006-01-05 at 22:06, Alain Reguera wrote:

> The institution is formed by a PC with various eth interfaces, one to
> connect to the router, and a serie of 192.168.1-2-3-...n.0 that permit
> us to connect 254 workstation for each one. Maybe will be needed more
> than 1 box here, think that the number of eth interfaces in a PC is
> limited. The main objective here are browsing, mail and web
> publishing.
>
> That's it, don't know if I explain my self. Don't know if my idea is
> correct, just an idea of what I've been reading on Douglas E. Comer
> TCP/IP (my first reading about networks).

If you are using private addresses on the inside interface(s) and
NATting to a smaller number of public addresses there are any
number of solutions to increase the number of addresses available
on the inside.  The simple one is to change the netmask of
the interface to allow a larger range.  However you may want
to consider the bandwidth you need and whether it would be
better to distribute it over more interfaces or add add
additional servers.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell at gmail.com