[CentOS] Installing Java 1.4.2

Fri Jan 6 16:13:14 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 1/6/06, Robert Moskowitz <rgm at htt-consult.com> wrote:
> At 10:45 AM 1/6/2006, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:
>

> >Unfortunately, that won't do. That java implementation you see is the
> >GNU one. For Scalix, you will need Sun's JDK. You can get it at
> >www.java.com, if I recall.
>
> thanks.  Does that mean I unistall the GNU one?  Or installing the
> SUN one will 'override' the GNU one.

No you don't need to uninstall the gnu one. Java on rhel uses (or
should, in a perfect world) the alternatives framework, which allows
for multiple programs to provide an application or utility. That said,
the java packages from sun are a bit braindead. You can get the java
sdk rpm or bin from sun and install it but it won't do much for you,
and it doesn't put java in a place where the system can "Just use it".
The best way is to get the sun java sdk package, and then get the sun
java compat rpm from jpackage.org ->
http://jpackage.org/rpm.php?id=3320

This rpm tells your system all about the sun install and sets things
up for you in alternatives so that you can begin using your shiny new
non-GNU java.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT