[CentOS] 3ware disk failure -> hang -- SCSI backplanes

Sat Jan 7 00:02:23 UTC 2006
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a non-critical IBM eserver with software raid
> running so I yanked a drive to see what happens.

Hold on a second ...
Are you using a SCSI backplane?
If so, that's the difference right there!  ;->

SCSI backplanes and host adapters work very, very different
on transient (or failure for that matter) than _any_ ATA or
regular SCSI (without a backplane).
They are still formulating similarly for SATA, and there are
some SCSI adopted standards for SATA backplanes.
But with SAS, much of that is becoming moot.

Okay, now things make far more sense.  ;->

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com
*** Speed doesn't kill, difference in speed does ***