[CentOS] 3ware disk failure -> hang -- SUMMARY: Failed drives/hot-swap recommendations

Sat Jan 7 00:22:09 UTC 2006
Bryan J. Smith <thebs413 at earthlink.net>

"Bryan J. Smith" <thebs413 at earthlink.net> wrote:
> 3)  Software RAID with ATA, SCSI (non-backplane) or JBOD
> modes
> You're on your own here.  If there is not a full SCSI-2
> driver for your controller, with associated hardware to
> handle loss or transient, then you're likely going to get a
> panic.  The "new option" in kernel 2.6 is allegedly
> hotswap, but I have never configured a storage device for
it
> -- other than USB, FireWire, CompactFlash, etc...

One final note ...

"libata" is an effort to give a rich set of features to both
ATA and SATA.  Especially for SATA, where it does have
staggered pins and can be considered the "SCA for ATA."

But that means the ATA controller, its driver and the
end-device must all support the function in libata to work.

--
Bryan J. Smith     Professional, Technical Annoyance                      b.j.smith at ieee.org      http://thebs413.blogspot.com
*** Speed doesn't kill, difference in speed does ***