[CentOS] Compile vs. RPM

Tue Jan 10 09:45:14 UTC 2006
Benjamin Smith <lists at benjamindsmith.com>

I apply them manually.

But, I have a cron script something like:

yes 'n' | yum update

This runs once/week, and runs as user "root". Email filters send this output
to a special account, so just by checking email on this special account, I
see all the yum updates run on all the servers, once/week.

Then, it's easy to see what needs to be done! Probably 1 hour/month to keep 2
dozen systems updated weekly on an "as needed" basis. This way we're both
current, and I'm on hand in case something goes wrong.

PS: I'm aware of only ONE issue in the past 2 years with over 1 dozen servers
updated via yum that resulted in ANY ACTION AT ALL (beyond a reboot of kernel
packages) in order to fix anything yum "broke".

In short, if you're running Yahoo, spend a few days and test before rollout.
You have the money, why not? But, if you're running a small(ish) business on
said server, the issues that break from yum are few and far between, unless
you have a specialized environment. (installing * from CPAN, for example)

-Ben

PS: If you want to see what RPM files are installed for NN rpm, try

rpm -ql NN

PPS: If you want to get rid of whatever package owns file foo, try

yum remove `rpm -qf /path/too/foo`;

You'll be prompted before the delete...

don't exuse lack of familiarity with RPM tools to mean that they "suck" or are
"hard to use". Like driving a car, they require a bit of training, and once
you get it, it becomes second-nature.

On Monday 09 January 2006 09:10, Mickael Maddison wrote:
> QUESTION:  Do most of you cron the yum updates, or do you watch for
> new RPMs and update "manually"?

- XEROX PARC slogan, circa 1978