[CentOS] help with Xlib

Thu Jan 12 03:34:56 UTC 2006
Craig White <craigwhite at azapple.com>

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 01:23 -0200, Rodrigo Barbosa wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 11, 2006 at 08:17:39PM -0700, Craig White wrote:

> > > xhost(1)
> > >
> > > Also make sure your local X server is configured to accept tcp
> > > connections, and you have no iptables rules blocking those.
> > >
> > > Among other places, you will want to check for the DisalowTCP
> > > tag on /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf, if you are using gdm (standard for
> > > CentOS). I don't remember what the default is.
> > >
> > ----
> > thanks but you are still over my head.
> >
> > xhost +localhost returns the same error.
>
> On your local workstation, you should do:
>
> xhost +remote
>
> Where remote is either the hostname (should be possible to lookup)
> or IP Address (to make sure it will work).
>
> > DisallowTCP is commented in /etc/X11/gdm/gdm.conf
>
> Uncomment and set to "false".
>
> > The issue seems to be that gdm isn't running...is it supposed to be
> > running in runlevel 3?
>
> You should set those value on your local workstation (console),
> not the remote one. This is the workstation you call MYHOSTNAME.
>
> You might also want to access MYHOSTNAME:0.0, not 1.0.
>
> > If so...what is the right way to start it?
----
OK - I will play with this but I think you aren't understanding how I am
accessing...

I am connecting to remote via ssh...

ssh -XC user at host

I can execute this program no problem by the './startconsole...'

But I really want to use a VNC session and run from there...so instead,
I have vncserver start as my user and connect...

vncviewer localhost:1

Once I authenticate, I am running a VNC session and I can use things
like firefox/evolution/etc.

I then open a terminal session, su - to root and then execute the
command, which is when I get this error.

If this explanation helps...I am offering it. Basically, everything I am
doing is not on my local machine but rather on the remote to which I am
connected via ssh.

Thanks

Craig