[CentOS] server without gcc?

Thu Jan 12 13:05:37 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 00:42 -0800, Robert Hanson wrote:
> }
> } This is extremely vague. What are your needs? 'yum install gcc' will get
> } you
> } gcc and all of its dependencies, yes.
> }
> } -Alex
> }
>
> hehe i wasnt vague, you just cant read my mind. i said "everything i might
> ever need" from the CD

Well .. that is not what the Single Server CD is for.  The Single Server
CD is only ~650MB ... the full CentOS install is 2.2GB.

The Single server CD obviously is NOT the entire CentOS tree on a single
CD ... it is a subset of programs that we could get on one CD and have
it be a useful server.  It can only hold about 25% of the packages that
we release for CentOS ... so 75% of what is ultimately available in
CentOS is not on the Single CD.  Which is why we release CentOS on 4 CDs
or a DVD.

> well i was hoping to get ALL the devel stuff that would be installed should
> i have checked it on install from the CD in "one shot"

obviously only so much stuff is going to fit in one sock :)

A full CentOS set (4 CD's or 1 DVD) is required to install all packages
directly from the CD / DVD.