[CentOS] "nv" driver lock up where new version

Sat Jan 14 03:09:00 UTC 2006
Jim Perrin <jperrin at gmail.com>

On 1/13/06, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I have posted my xorg.conf file as you can see I have the 1920x1080 information.
> I post the log file saying nvidia is not accepting the line.
>
> The nv driver works at the 1920x1080 information it just doesnt seem stable.

First, it's a non-standard resolution, so things are going to be flaky
with it from the start.
for standard 4:3 displays it'd be 1920x1440, or for widescreen 16:9
it'd be 1920x1200. You're doing some oddball stuff with yours. And
just because you slap a value in your config doesn't mean it's
magically going to work. Some displays require you to set modeline
values. Especially if you're doing oddball stuff with them.

For example, for my dell inspiron 9300 laptop, I use modeline values
to make the widescreen display function properly. So my monitor
section looks like:

Section "Monitor"
        Identifier   "Monitor0"
        VendorName   "Monitor Vendor"
        ModelName "Flat Panel 1920x1200"
        DisplaySize     330     210
        HorizSync       28-110
        VertRefresh     43-90
        Option          "DPMS"
        Modeline "1920x1200" 162 1920 1984 2176 2480 1200 1201 1204
1250 +hsync +vsync

These modeline settings are specific to my display and will most
likely not work for you. You'll have to consult your hardware
documentation to find the values you'll need, or google for people
with your display using linux.
And I also have a few tweaks in the device section relating
specifically to the nvidia driver which help the display. They're all
quite well documented in the nvidia readme & config documentation. I'd
recommend reading the nvidia documentation.

--
Jim Perrin
System Architect - UIT