[CentOS] Why are dots in username & groupname no longer allowed?

Sat Jan 14 11:12:29 UTC 2006
Remco Barendse <redhat at barendse.to>

On Fri, 6 Jan 2006, Adam Gibson wrote:

> Josh Kelley wrote:
>>> BUT, the I think that the real reason that dots should not be allowed in
>>> user names is because this doesn't allow dots:
>>>
>>> RFC 4282 - The Network Access Identifier
>>>
>>> There is no requirement to follow this for usernames; however, I think
>>> we should.
>>
>> Unless I'm misreading the RFC, it does allow dots in usernames?
>>
>>    nai         =  username
>>    nai         =/ "@" realm
>>    nai         =/ username "@" realm
>>
>>    username    =  dot-string
>>    dot-string  =  string
>>    dot-string  =/ dot-string "." string
>
> I don't know myself but Fedora Core 4 allows dots in usernames.  useradd
> asdf.adsf under Fedora Core 4 works just fine as well as userdel asdf.asdf .
> I wonder which direction RHEL will follow in the future since Fedora is
> usually the test ground for newer stuff in RHEL.

It seems it's really a bug in RHEL 3, RHEL 2.1 allows a dot, so does RHEL
4.x (and IMHO a dot should be allowed, I don't care if a package from the
previous millennium doesn't work anymore)

I wonder if I could just install shadow-utils from RHEL4 on my CentOS 3.x
boxes (maybe it will work after rebuilding the RPM)