[CentOS] Remote printing problem

Sat Jan 14 19:34:25 UTC 2006
P. Marvin Eberly <eberlyml at wjtl.net>

On Thu, 2006-01-12 at 19:06 -0500, P Marvin Eberly wrote:
> Hello list,
>  I am trying to set up a remote Epson printer with a Epson print server
> attached. I am using IPP  and when setting up a print queue from system-
> config-printer, I am unable to print a test page. I get this error:
>
> There was a problem sending CUPS test page
> to 'remote740' queue:
>
> lpr: error - unable to print file: server-error-service-unavailable

 Sorry to reply to my own post but, more info. I hooked up the printer
locally and still got the error so it has nothing to do with being
remote. The local queue is not seen by any apps either, but as before I
can print a test page from localhost:631. I'm beginning to think the
CUPS install on this machine is borked. I have also eliminated SELinux
and firewall as issues.

> I can however print a test page from http://localhost:631/printers,
> whether I set up the queue in http://localhost:631/printers or in
> system-config-printer. If I set up a queue from the web interface
> system-config-printer does not see it, but the web interface sees any
> queue I set up. This is a fully updated CentOS 4.2 Athlon XP machine and
> I have this remote printing working perfect from FC3 and from CentOS 3
> machines on this network. The queue is never seen in OO or any other
> apps that I've tried to print from.
>
>  I am probably missing something simple, but cannot find it.

Any thoughts welcome,
  Marvin