[CentOS] nvidia driver problem, cant load

Sun Jan 15 11:40:47 UTC 2006

On Sat, 2006-01-14 at 11:36 -0500, Roger D Vargas wrote:
> The stock kernel, installed by CentOS 4.2.
>

> Jim Perrin wrote:
> > On 1/14/06, Roger D Vargas <luo_hei at yahoo.es> wrote:
> >
> >>Im trying to install an old nvidia driver, the last that has support for
> >>obsolete cards. But when the compilation process ends I get an error:
> >>says that kernel version is not the same of the sources used to compile
> >>driver. I checked version of kernel sources and running kernel and they
> >>are the same, can somebody tell me whats wrong?
> >

> > Is this a stock kernel, or did you rebuild it from source?

OK ... some things to check.

Are you running kernel or kernel-smp. ... also, what is your arch ...

You can do the this command to tell:

uname -a

Here is an example output:

Linux myth.home.local 2.6.9-27.ELsmp #1 SMP Sun Jan 1 18:52:29 CST 2006 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Next, make sure you have the kernel-devel (or kernel-smp-devel if you
are running the SMP kernel, like I am in my example) ... for instance, I
need to have kernel-smp-2.6.9-27.EL installed if I want to rebuild
kernel modules.

the following will let you know which kernel files you have installed:

rpm -qa kernel*

If you have a matching kernel and kernel-devel ... or a matching kernel-
smp and kernel-smp-devel then the nvidia drivers should build fine.