[CentOS] Re: grub errors after fresh install, partiions with md and lvm

Tue Jan 17 17:07:05 UTC 2006
Keith Morse <kgmorse at mpcu.com>

Les Mikesell wrote:
> Centos doesn't install grub correctly for RAID.  Just do
> the install by hand:
> http://www.dirigo.net/tuxTips/avoidingProblems/GrubMdMbr.php
> You may have to experiment to see how to make the second
> drive boot if the first one fails.  With SCSI, the drives
> shift up in both the grub and linux device names.  With
> IDE they don't.  I'm not sure about SATA.   In the worst
> case you could change the cable and repeat the grub install
> procedure if you get the 2nd drive wrong and your primary
> fails

I had to boot into rescue mode from the cd and chrooted the
environment.  Followed the example from the link above and it fixed the
problem.  Many thanks.  I've been pretty lucky with grub these last
couple of years and haven't had to delve into it this deeply before.